Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Writing with kids

Finding time to write when there's kids under 10 in the house is brutal.  Finding time to do anything with kids under 10 in the house is a difficult chore, but writing is especially hard because you're stationary.  You have to just stay in one place and think.  My brain can't think with distractions buzzing around constantly.  If I was trying to do the dishes or the laundry or dust or something at least those things don't require much brain function.  You can kindof do those in your sleep, while tuning out the constant buzz of the hive.

So I do a lot of my writing at bedtime or in the early morning.  And since bedtime usually feels like the calm in the air after storming the beach at Normandy (not really, but its the worst analogy I can think of) I usually want to just lay down and not move again for 3 days.  So early morning usually becomes my writing time.

If I can get through an hour before getting ready for work, without falling back asleep, it's a great day.  And I feel great after I've accomplished it.  I love to write.  But I don't love getting up early...

If only there was a way to write by including the kids?  What if I told them what to write, and they were my official typists?  My errors might increase, but spellcheck will catch it.  Or I could do the opposite, and have them tell me what to write and I'll write that.  That's okay as long as I don't care about structure and form.

In the end, writing is not like baking cookies.  You can't let the kids crack a few eggs and it'll still turn out as yummy.  I see a lot of early nights in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment