Monday, November 8, 2010

Putting up the Christmas Decorations

You might think it's too early to put up the Christmas decorations, but this Saturday was the perfect time for me.  Why?  Because I was already out in the yard taking down the Halloween decorations, and I'm not crazy enough to sign up for Thanksgiving decorations.  Next thing you know I'll have to put up Memorial Day decorations and Columbus Day decorations.  Don't we have enough days we have to put out a specific themed tablecloth and towels for?
I am all about efficiency, and if I'm out on the ladder taking down a bunch of pumpkin shaped lights, theres no reason not to put out a few candy caned shaped ones at the same time, right?  And the brilliance of that system is, it was pretty good weather this saturday.  The worst part about Christmas decorations is the wet, cold, miserable weather you have to endure while doing it, always picturing the ambulance ride after you slip on the icy ladder.  And picturing the 500 dollar deductable attached to it.
So we put them up.  The kids helped me, and did a great job at it.  The littlest only broke 4 bulbs, the new 5 year old only choked one other person with a cord of lights, and the two girls did a great job when I asked them to wrap the rope lights around the fence posts.  Of course, they wrapped all the rope lights around only one fence post, but I didn't specify the quantity of posts to light up, so I think they did a great job.
It's fun for the kids to help you out with those sorts of things, and a test of your patience besides.  I got a B- this weekend on my patience test, and I think that's pretty darn good.
But, they'll remember those things forever. Just think about when you're old, and they're tellilng stories about their childhood.  If you don't pay in memories now, it's going to be hell in the old folks home later.  Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment